Scripture: John 1:1-14
Pastor Clyde’s December 25, 2016 Sermon
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (2) He was with God in the beginning. (3) Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. (4) In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. (5) The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
(6) There was a man sent from God whose name was John. (7) He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. (8) He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
(9) The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. (10) He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. (11) He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. (12) Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— (13) children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
(14) The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
1. Did you hear about the defense lawyer who met with his client on Christmas Day?
2. He told him that he had good news and bad news. The client told the lawyer: “Let me hear the bad news first.”
3. The lawyer said, “Well, the DNA test proved conclusively that you committed the crime.”
4. “Then what kind of good news do you have?”
5. “Your cholesterol is down to 140.”
6. I hope that you have had better news this Christmas Day.
7. This is going to be a shore reflection today; I hope that you are not disappointed.
8. We have been looking at the story of Scrooge in “A Christmas Carol” for the last several weeks.
9. One of the most famous sayings in that book was Tiny Tim’s “And God bless us—every one.”
10. How do you feel blessed this Christmas?
11. Is there a gift or event or song that made you really feel like it is Christmas?
12. One of the things that I ask for every Christmas is socks.
13. That does not sound very romantic or motivating but I need them. Our washing machine and dryer eats socks by the dozens.
14. But the gift of socks remind me that I am loved from my head to my toes.
15. Are there gifts that make you feel loved?
16. Do the gifts that you have gotten inspire you to give to others?
17. Scrooge was blessed with another chance. He was given the gift of redemption.
18. He began to give to others because of the gift that he had been given.
19. Are there gifts that make us want to give to others?
20. The Christ child—Emmanuel, God with Us—came today!
21. That is our most precious gift.
22. What can we do to bless every one that we know?
23. Remember the scripture that we read this morning?
24. 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
25. The Word—Jesus—became flesh and dwelt among us. My most fervent prayer for you this Christmas is that you have seen the glory of the one and Only Son.
26. What will you do to share this gift? Christ is born today. God bless us every one!